Monday, April 12, 2010

Joystick Cruelty

It all began with a brand new, unsuspecting force feedback joystick, completely unaware of what was going to happen to it. Little did it know, it was going to meet its destiny.


So, the torture began...


... and it carried on for about 10 whole minutes. You can see the tormenting tool at the bottom of the picture below.


However, it was all for a good cause. After some cutting and drilling, the old joystick became an H-Shifter, mounted right in the place of the actual gear shifter in the BMW E36 center console.




In case you're wondering how the joystick is going to act as a H-shifter, it's all thanks to a great and simple software called FFShifter.

Note. No hardware was harmed while making this blog post. Except for a Logitech 3D Pro joystick.

6 comments:

  1. It's a very nice project but.. How do you make a connection with the game?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to make you aware of these USB interfaces (Www.leobodnar.com). They allow you to build your own USB input devices. I've got several of them in a flight simulator I've built. They would be the prefect thing to allow you to wire up some of the dash controls to act as in game inputs (things like the 4 way flashers, horn button, headlamp switch, etc...).

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!

    I saw your blog (http://hrsim.blogspot.com/) about using a real car cluster and wanna know if you can send to me the source code of the program that get data from the game to the serial port.

    Also i already have the arduino board and if can send the code too will help me a lot...

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, awesome site. I thought the topics you posted on were very interesting.
    I tried to add your RSS to my feed reader and it a few. take a look at it, hopefully I can add you and follow.




    Vehicle Telematics

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi I'm a student of Electronic Engineering and i want to use servo motors to do the same of your project. I did the code for arduino to control servo motros and all works good. My problem is to find OutGauge software to give Arduino the variables i need. Could you tell me where can i find it? or were can i download it? Is there the possibility you send it to me via mail?

    ReplyDelete